[aprssig] Metric vs English Systems

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Fri Sep 7 16:27:02 EDT 2007

"Andy Gonzales" <kg6rwo2 at gmail.com>, Fri, 7 Sep 2007 12:57:13 -0700:

>I was in Europe this past May and they don't use metric all the time.
>When we would ask how far a certain place was they would tell you in
>terms of time - most things were 15 minutes walking distance away, about 1 km.

Time as a measure of distance is often used. I don't know how it is in
your country (or your continent, as you are referring to Europe, not
one particular country) - but I at least will often tell those asking
about distances both the distance in km and the time to walk or to
drive by car, knowing the road condition - it could be a motorway or a
4 m wide secondary, winding road - or anything between.
But distances are given in km or, particularly in Sweden and often in
Norway, in "mil" which is 10 km - distance signs are in km, though.

To be ON topic: Distances in the user defined APRS-server filters are
in km as well, even in UK and USA. Time would be a poor unit there :-)

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway