[aprssig] APRS Dieing?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Thu Sep 6 09:36:30 EDT 2007

At 06:27 AM 9/6/2007, J D Delancy wrote:

>Just drove a 1600 miles trip thru the midwest and back.  APRS
>coverage thru Southern Ohio (except for Columbus), West Virginia and
>Western Maryland does not appear to "alive and well"
>
>Has anyone else noticed that?

         Yes, I agree, some areas are leaving APRS.  One about a
hundred miles from me is a real puzzler, it sounds like the whole
town just up and left 144.39.

         There are also areas where I drive that have never had APRS
digi coverage.

         Something else I've noticed, is that your mobile will work
just fine at home, but when you get 1000+ miles away, something about
the digis is different, and your mobile might not "see" any APRS
activity.  This happened to me recently when I went to Atlanta.  I
could hear the tones, they didn't sound like the tones I hear in
Texas and New Mexico, and my UI-View/KPC-3+ setup in the truck wasn't
able to put ANYTHING on the map.  Other than myself, of course.  When
I headed back west, it all started working again.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk