[aprssig] GPS patch antenna alternatives

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 01:31:06 EST 2007

Why wouldn't a 1/4 work ?

I just made a crude 1/4 out of some small solder and put it into the BNC
connector on my Garmin GPS V.  No ground plane, just a wire about 1.5 in long.
Inside the house where coverage is not too good, it still got 4-5 sats and kept
tracking.  Sig strengths were comparable to the Garmin antenna, but for
different sats.

--- Scott Miller <scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I've got a set of Sarantel Geohelix SMP samples on hand, but I
> didn't want to waste them on this project.
>
> Does anyone know if a 1/4 wave whip will work?  Eventually I'll probably
> build a board with a Trimble Copernicus and patch antenna or something,
> but for now the GPS 15 is what I've got.
>
> Scott
> N1VG
>
> Greg Noneman wrote:
> > You might want to look into the Sarantel antennas.  They primarily make
> > antennas for embedded applications (cell phones, PDAs, etc.), but also
> > make one with a radome.  Their basic antenna is SMT, but some
> > distributors customize them with integral connectors (SMA, MCX, MMCX,
> > etc.).
> >

> > 73,
> > Greg
> > WB6ZSU
> >

> > On Nov 27, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone suggest a lightweight, cheap alternative to a patch antenna
> >> for a balloon project?  Preferably something that could be terminated
> >> in an MCX connector.  I'd like to have something to connect directly
> >> to a GPS 15H-W without requiring any feedline.
> >>
> >> In related news, I finally remembered to add the GPS 15H-W to my
> >> store.  I've had some sitting on the shelf for a month or more now.
> >>
> >> https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=79
> >>
> >> Scott
> >> N1VG

73, Steve, K9DCI