[aprssig] Hiking with APRS at low risk

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Nov 28 12:28:03 EST 2007

I think there are plenty of applications where a transmit-only tracker
is just fine.  I haven't done a ton of hiking with a tracker, but when I
have it's only been with a transmit-only unit and I never had any
particular need to see other stations.

I sell what I believe is the only low-cost receive-capable APRS tracker
kit, and I'd be surprised if even half of the users are using the
receive capability.

One thing I don't think Jason mentioned is that the frequency is
programmable per profile, and the next firmware release (due out in the
next week or so) will have at least two frequencies per profile, with
the ability to switch between them at specified intervals.  So for
something like a high-altitude balloon, you can have it transmit on
144.39 once every 30 or 60 seconds, but still get beacons on an
alternate frequency every 5 or 10 seconds without overloading the network.

Scott
N1VG