[aprssig] RE: WRT54G

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 02:18:08 EST 2007

When I say 'shot themselves in the foot' I mean I can't just go buy
one at a retail store like I could the WRT54G and WRT54GS models.  I
checked Pricegrabber.com and didn't see a big box retailer that
carries the L units at all, but they are readily available
online.  It's pretty much always been that way as far as I know (I've
never seen the L series in a big box).

Best Buy and Circuit City both carry the Buffalo units.  I can just
walk in and buy one here in Bangor Maine.  I suspect they're just as
easy to find in those stores elsewhere.  They used to be hard(er) to
find (only Best Buy carried them), but now both places do and they're
virtually diagonal from one another here in the city.  At 50 bucks,
the WHR-G125 is a decent unit and while the first firmware upload
scheme is a bit nonconventional, it seems to work without
problem.  You can see the installation instructions at:
http://tinyurl.com/2a95am .  The initial upload works out pretty much
the same on a Mac too, as it should.

The WHR-G125 is 240mhz BCM5354, 16MB RAM and 4MB Flash and doesn't
have the removable antenna that the G54 and G54S do.  The WRT54G v8
and WRT54GS v7 both use this same processor, but with 2MB of Flash it
is a difficult fit for a Linux system image (DD-WRT does have a
special small image for the 2MB models though).  Previous WRTs have
used the older 200mhz BCM5352, which Buffalo's older WHR-G54S and
WHR-HP-G54 also use.

I prefer the Buffalos for several reasons.  One is that they're easy
to get.  One of the other reasons is that they support AP (no router)
mode.  My last experiences with the WRT54 series were that you
couldn't just use the device as a straight AP without NAT or Routing
getting in the way unless you wanted to do something like plug your
net connection into the switch ports instead of the Internet port,
etc.  The Buffalo units have a switch on modem (BRI/AUTO), but you
can also set it in the software.  Also, the Buffalo setup is self
contained and automatically launches as soon as you plug everything
in and try to go to any web page.  I just think the presentation
overall is a lot more user friendly.  Of course, for hacking I prefer
them because I can just go buy it without ordering anything. :)

--Droo, K1XVM