[aprssig] RE: WRT54G

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Mon Nov 19 21:03:18 EST 2007

I just bought one at Circuit City 3 days ago, they are still
around.  We use them for VPN end points.  Mine usually run DD-WRT,
which I think is loosely based on OpenWRT.  Hopefully they catch up
since the parts should be available to do so (radio libs, etc).  I
haven't found any hooks to install a serial port though.   As far as
a hackable router goes, it is a great piece of hardware.  Maybe
someone has or will whip up a serial port into one (it looks like
they can with the AG108 model).

Linksys really shot themselves in the foot here with the VXWorks
nonsense.  There are ways around it but the hardware is so horribly
crippled (2mb flash 4mb RAM I eblieve) it just isn't worth it.

--Droo, K1XVM