[aprssig] RE: APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Mon Nov 12 07:19:49 EST 2007

At 07:24 PM 11/11/2007, Ray McKnight wrote:

>One laptop for every child on the planet.
>I have strong words which I cannot use.
>Other than utterly LUDICRIOUS!

Ray,

How do you really feel about this project?

>There are tens of millions of children in the US alone without health care.
>Worldwide, the number is staggering.  But let's give them a computer.
>
>What about:
>* at least one decent meal a day
>* an education
>* a SAFE and adequate place to live, sleep, etc..
>* a government not focused on power, wealth and self interests

I don't think those goals are achievable given the nature of man.

LET'S FOCUS ON GIVING TROOPS IN IRAQ THOSE $1.57 MILLION DOLLAR HUMMERS
>INSTEAD.  Raise the kids, teach 'em to fight and dominate the world, them
>squander our money on arms.  That's the American way...

I would rather our troops be in a real armored vehicle like an updated
Gavin rather than the death-trap Stryker.  But you can thank Shinseki and
Cheney for making our military "lighter and faster" but much more
vulnerable.  It was Bush Sr. and Cheney who put our troops in Mogadishu
with no armored vehicles...  I'm just glad the Malaysians had Condor APC's
to save our butts.

I have friends and relatives in harm's way in Afghanistan and Iraq right
now.  All volunteers and all believe they are there HELPING those countries
and making them a better place.    I have a picture of one of my cousins
handing out MRE's to little children in Baghdad.   I wonder how many
Iraqi's Ray has fed this week?

Anyhow it amazes me how many Americans are down on America when you look at
the crap going on all over the world.  40 years of continuous civil war in
Africa.  Much of Central and South America essentially a lawless
wild-west.   Rampant street crime in much of Urban Europe.   It makes the
U.S. look pretty darn good.   And I know many people who blame all the
world's problems on the U.S. manipulation and the CIA.  Yeah, the CIA is
making people rob banks in Brazil with jelly jars of gasoline, the U.S.
Government is behind British street toughs robbing people stuck in their
cars in traffic using claw hammers, and George Bush is making Muslim rebels
hack off the arms of children in Sierra Leone.   I don't know who in the
U.S. is responsible for highwaymen in Italy shooting little kids in the
head, but someone in Washington D.C. is causing that...

I can walk down the street in San Marcos, CA without fear.  I can leave my
windows open at night.  I have one lock on my front door.  When I lost my
job and health insurance a few years back I got sick and had to go to the
hospital  -  did they deny me health care?  No.   I was given access to CAT
scans, surgery, and state-of-the-art equipment.   Which is more than I can
say for some Canadians I know who have been left to their national heath
care system.   MP Belinda Stronach gets common breast cancer - goes to U.S.
for surgery.    I think that says it all.

I know that Scott Miller pointed out radios can disseminate
information.  But radio stations are the first thing that get taken over or
destroyed in a banana republic.  One thing that a distributed network does
is decentralize information collection and reportage.  It makes it much
harder for a government to exert control over a populace.

Just some food for the conspiracy theorists out there.  OLPC is the
brainchild of Nicholas Negroponte.  His brother is John Negroponte, the
current United States Deputy Secretary of State.  John Negroponte went to
Yale and was in the same fraternity as George W. Bush's uncle as well as
Porter Goss, who recently served as the director of the CIA!

OMG!  Ray, the OLPC is a CIA plot to dominate the world!  It's the new ECHELON!

Mark
KC7BXS