[aprssig] emcomm and ham cheapness

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 11 12:54:43 EST 2007

Hi,
I wanted to add to the hospital theme here.  Our
packet digi is on a hospital roof and we use an Icom
70 watt mobile for our radio.  We have equipment to
connect to a local internet provider for a link to the
state EOC when we need to.  The radio has been in
service for several years.  We have had several
problems with the TNC (Kantronics KPC 3 type),
however.  Whenever we want to remotely connect to set
the time for Spring forward and Fall back, it loses
its mind and we have to manually go and reset it.

73,
Chris
KB8UIH

--- Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> A recent post made the following comment:
> "I would prefer NOT to use a mobile because it is to
> be located on a hospital roof and, on occasion, will
> be powered by the building's emergency
> power system. Cost is an issue, as always."
>
> First, I'm not poking at Jim, the original poster,
> here... it just happened to neatly capsulize a
> thought I've run across a lot in hamdom.

< C U T >