[aprssig] W3,SSn-N digipeater text

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Nov 9 14:45:26 EST 2007

Tom,

> > I noticed that all NM digipeaters listed W4...
>
> According to your instructions on...
> <http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/n-n-overlays.txt>
> the "Wn" in the comment is supposed to reflect the limit.
> This is the first time I've ever heard that the "Wn"
> part of the digi comment is supposed to be the recommendation.

Ah, Im changing that now..  That is why I am raising the issue.
As my documentation shows, it was originally intended as a
"limit".  But around here and informally, I have been
receommneding it as "receommendation".  Seeing all those W4's
out there caused me to realize that we need to clarify its
meaning.

I think the New-N paradim is working well, so now, I think that
W# field could better be used as the place for "recommendation".
I see the NM web page recommends WIDE3-3, and that is when I
realised having W4 in all the digis might be confusing to new
users.

Would anyone in NM be offended if I suggested that (when they
get around to it), that we change all references to "Wn" in the
digi text to be the local "recommendation" instead of limit?  I
am changing all my documention where ever I find it to imply
"recommendation"..

> Many local users in Albuquerque still use 3-hop paths.

By changing the digi text to recommendations, then each digi can
have its own independent recommendation based on the needs of
the network at that location...

> I do think that some of the digis are misconfigured
> --- it appears that they have WIDE1-1 set as MYALIAS

I think a lot (if not most) of your NM digis are KPC-3 version
8.2, and so they do not properly do the WIDEn-N when N gets to
zero.  So they all have to do the last hop as WIDE1-1 to make it
all work right.  SO yes, the KPC-3 version 8.2 digis have to
have WIDE1-1 as a myalias...

Thanks for filling me in on the background.

Bob, WB4APR