[aprssig] APRS Freqeuency AMbiguity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 8 20:27:17 EST 2007

>> My beacon announces a 2m/70cm crossband repeater
>> 145.250 MHz <-> 434.400 MHz
>
> Interesting question.  I wonder what the D710 radio
> TUNE button will do if the packet has an object name
> of 145.250 and in its text it has 434.400MHz.
> Interesting question.

What do people on APRS forsee as the most probable occurrence of
such an object?  My thinking is that the OBJECT name would have
priority.  Since it seems to be the more important...  One thing
it could to is be used to announce repeaters with non-standard
splits.  That way, the radio could tune the RECEIVER to the
OBJECT NAME frequency and the TX to the text frequency field...

Problem is, if that it not what the OBJECT intended, then the
radio would have done the wrong thing.  So probably best to
recommend that TUNE simply take precedence on the object name...
And continue to let it get the TX frequency from the assumed
offset.

Bob