[aprssig] PCSAT-1 digi ON, then off

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Nov 2 20:22:59 EDT 2007

OOPS... Not so fast.

PCSAT-1 digipeater has been turned off.  We enabled it for users
on only the 2nd orbit after recovery, but lots of folks were out
there, and we are having problems keeping the PCSAT-11 and
PCSAT-1  transmitters isolated.  The relay keeps dropping out.

So I have turned all digipeating off until we have at least 12
hours of low usage to give the batteries time to fully charge.

RULE:  If you see packets from both PCSAT-1 and PCSAT-11 on the
same frequency, then STOP digipeating.  The transmitters are
cross connected and consuming TWICE the battery power (which we
don't have).  You can confirm what is happening prior to your
pass by checking the packets on http://pcsat.aprs.org  If you
see packets from both the -1 and -11 callsign via the same
satgates, then the transmitters are cross connected and should
not be used.  Also avoid any use after dark.

Bob, WB4APR

cross
> connected meaning that relay had dropped out in the dark over
> Europe.  But we set the relay again and she should be fine.
> PLEASE limit all operations to DAYLIGHT hours only, and
PCSAT-1
> should be good for the next few weeks.  Also, on the same
> 145.825, you should also hear ANDE and ARISS.  That's 18
passes
> a day!
>
> Please see downlink packets on http://pcsat.aprs.org
> As long as the callsign "PCSAT-1" is appearing, then she is
> holding up.  If W3ADO-1 appears, then she has lost it again...
>
> PCSAT-11 downlink is on 144.39 over North America so all
mobiles
> on the normal APRS channel can be alerted when it is in
view...

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html

> Bob, WB4APR

between
> > about 6 AM to 1800 local sun time in the Northern
Hemisphere.