[aprssig] Log File Format

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Mar 28 19:38:06 EDT 2007

> Is there a standard protocol for creating a log file or does
> each APRS client store log files in their own way?
>
> Alternatively, is there one log file format that is
> universally readable by all APRS clients (even if they may
> have their own preferred format)?

I cannot answer that directly, but one thing for sure is that NO
program should be logging packets to file WITHOUT ASSIGNING A
TIME-OF-RECEIPT time stamp.  That was fundamental to APRS and
overlooked in some programs.  APRS is tactical-real-time.
Therefore many formats are not burdened with date and time data,
since by definition, it is NOW.  There are position formats that
can include the day and time if needed, but most are sent
without them.

So any log files of any value of any APRS type program must save
time-of-receipt associated with every packet.

Soap Box off.
WB4APR