[aprssig] D700 vs Prius

bob evinger wd9eka at evinger.com
Wed Mar 28 18:45:27 EDT 2007

I have a honda insight also hybrid. HOnda did the drive train differently
than toyota but still has a lot of electronics. I purchased it in sept
2000, have a 109,000 miles on it. It too has electric power steering.

I have been running most recently an Icom v8000 75 watts out on 2 meters
and with the insight no ill effects.  There are a few discreet frequencies
that seem to have birdies but other than that it is reasonably rf quiet.
The radios have never caused any issues with the Insight at least on 2
meter frequencies.

It has a smaller than average 12 volt battery and I have killed a few of
them by leaving the radio on too long.  The biggest problem was when my
tiny tracker stuck on when I had a kenwwod in the back and it spent the
night at full power.. dead battery next morning..

I dont know the specifics of the charging arrangement with the Prius. BUt
for reference  in the insight the 12 volt battery is charged via a
144vold(insights High volt pack) dc-dc converter. I have heard that the
max 12 volt out on the converter for the insight is about 60 amps.

If the prius has a similar charging arrangement then you would need to
watch your continuous current draw and make sure everything doesnt exceed
that but I would think there is enough smarts in the car to trip some kind
of a warning if it peaked over that even if its a circuit breaker. if you
are just talking your D7 current draw should not be an issue I would hope
anyway.

Depending on  whether its the new or old prius from what I have read I
thought the early model prius actually had a 288 volt battery pack and the
newer priuses were closer to 400 volts.

Dont know if it helps but wanted to let you know that at least there are a
few hams out there with insights that have not had RF ill's caused.
Several years ago corresponded with a guy that actually operated HF with
his insight, had a telescoping HF vertical popping through the roof where
the broadcast antenna had been.

bob