[aprssig] APRS -- Chicago to Mackinac Island sailboat race

Bill Borgstrom bill_borgstrom at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 18:10:49 EDT 2007

This July about 300 sail boats will be participating in the Chicago to Mackinac Island sailboat race.  This race (333 statue miles) is the longest annual freshwater sailboat race in the world.  Over half the fleet will carry satellite tracking units.  The trackers use the Orbcomm LEO satellite system to email boat position reports to a web server.  Family members (or anyone) on shore can go to a web site and see the boats plotted on a chart.

  A few of the sailors are also hams (myself included).  Us sailing hams would like to plot our boat position reports on APRS.  I can do this manually by using WinAPRS; going to station settings and manually inputing boat position; then going to TCP/IP settings and connecting to APRServe Network.  This works fine but I'll be racing on our boat.  I need to automate this process.

  My plan is to receive the Orbcomm emails with our boat position reports.  Parse out lat. lon. speed. heading. date and time and form a raw packet.  This I'm capable of doing this.  I need help in how to send the raw packet to  APRServe Network.  I would appreciate any help you can give me.

  Bill N9TN