[aprssig] Kam Plus Control Programs?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 00:00:19 EDT 2007

kf8zn at yahoo.com wrote:
> I am trying to get Back into Packet after a 20 year hiatus...sigh...
> I have a Kantronics KAM PLUS with the 8.2 Firmware, which research
> indicates supports APRS???
>
> Question: The Pacterm Program is SO DAMNED CRYPTIC in terms of the
> Command Structure. Are there any Menu Driven Terminal Programs that
> will Access all the Functions and be a little more user friendly??
>
> Any Help Appreciated.
>
> KF8ZN

The Pacterm program is completely useless for APRS (except perhaps for
setting the digipeater configuration if you choose to use it).  APRS is
completely different in it's conventions, path usages, protocols, etc
from traditional connected packet.  You need to use an APRS-specific
application such as UI-View, APRSplus, WinAPRS, APRSpoint, etc.

For an introduction to some of the differences between classic packet
and APRS usage (which EXCLUSIVELY uses non-connected non-acked
one-to-many broadcast-like "UI Frames") see the intro on my website:

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map