[aprssig] Does anyone have a fix for the intermittant tone encoder on the TH-d7ag 70cm side?

Thomas t hamaddict2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 02:08:24 EDT 2007

Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh at rac.ca> wrote:
Are you saying that if you tap the D7 or clap near it, it stops transmitting
the subaudible tone?

  Yes, the tone stops momentarily, but only on 70cm. Although you seem to have misunderstood the clap test.  I mean you can clap the palm of your hand against the rig and cause the problem.  You do not have to clap hard, just clap your hand down lightly.

  That you can cause the problem by following the procedure is not what I am concerned with, that is just a test so you can observe the problem in a somewhat controlled setting.

  The problem is that this dropout also happens fairly randomly while talking into the ht. I first noticed there was a problem while talking on the ht and walking along within half a mile of and with line of sight to my clubs repeater.   The motion of me walking plus the volume of my voice would combine to make me drop out somewhat randomly.  If I whispered and did not move I could minimize, but not eliminate the problem, but then I was inaudible and still would drop out.  Some hams I have spoken to could not figure out why they were in and out from their mobiles while running 5w to a good sized roof mounted antenna well within range of their repeaters.....then when they tested their d7ag rigs they also found that the tone encoder on 70cm was their problem.

  Again, the problem only occurs on 70cm, and I do not know if the tone drops out or is just somehow improperly modulated for a moment.  Either way, the d7ag screen does not reflect any problem, you have to test the rig against a second receiver. The problem happens much less frequently if the d7ag is connected to a dummy load.  To observe the problem, use a rubber duck

  I have not been able to develop a fix.

  73,
  Tom- N2YTF

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH