[aprssig] Does anyone have a fix for the intermittant tone encoder on the TH-d7ag 70cm side?

Thomas t hamaddict2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 23:46:15 EDT 2007

Does anyone have a fix for the 70cm tone encoder problem on the TH-D7ag?

  Every rig I have tested has had the problem, but I don't think I have tested any rigs manufactured in 2006 or latter. The problem was also reported on European d7ags.

  This problem prevents me from using the d7ag as a rig because my club's repeater is on 440 and uses TSQ.....the tone encoder problem makes me drop out too much.

  Kenwood is aware of the design defect, but has no fix.  My ht died on the operating table at home during my own work after Kenwood's 3 attempts at fixing the problem with some experiments amounted to naught.  I was frustrated with Kenwood, but I guess they did try.  I would buy the rig again if current production doesn't have the problem, although last year I tested one at a local shop and it too had the problem.

  In case you aren't familiar with the tone encoder problem on 70cm, you can experience it by  following this procedure:

  1. Set a second radio (I used a Yaesu FT-817) to 446.000mhz WITHOUT TONE SQUELCH SET.

2. Set the TH-D7A(G) to transmit on 446.000mhz with tone encoder set to a tone of 136.5.

3. While holding down the PTT on the TH-D7A(G), lightly tap your palm against the face of the radio as if you were clapping your hands repeatedly (or tap your fingers hard repeatedly on the face of the TH-D7A(G)), LISTEN TO THE SECOND RADIO AND HEAR YOUR FINGERS TAP THE TH-D7A(G)- NO PROBLEM.  Now go to step 4.

4. Set the second radio (I used a Yaesu FT-817) to 446.000mhz WITH TONE SQUELCH SET TO 136.5.

5. While holding down the PTT on the TH-D7A(G), lightly tap your palm against the face of the radio as if you were clapping your hands repeatedly (or tap your fingers hard repeatedly on the face of the TH-D7A(G)), LISTEN TO THE SECOND RADIO AND YOU WILL NOT HEAR YOUR FINGERS TAP THE TH-D7A(G) REPEATEDLY BECAUSE THE SECOND RADIO’S SQUELCH WILL BE CLOSED OR WILL CLOSE INTERMITTENTLY.

  Thanks for your input,
  Tom- N2YTF