[aprssig] AIS Live Online

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Mar 17 10:41:34 EDT 2007

Mark (callsign) wrote...

> http://www.shinemicro.com/Live.asp
> APRS-like system for Boats, Ships, and SAR Aircraft

"Automatic Identification System (AIS) is used for identifying and
monitoring maritime traffic..."

"The AIS is a shipboard broadcast system that acts like a transponder,
operating in the VHF maritime band, that is capable of handling well over
4,500 reports per minute and updates as often as every two seconds. It uses
Self-Organizing Time Division Multiple Access (SOTDMA) technology to meet
this high broadcast rate and ensure reliable ship-to-ship operation."

Perhaps a bit more like APRS ver 2. We might have some catching up to do.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH