[aprssig] mobile antenna for D7?

Tyson S. timbercutter at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 14:57:52 EDT 2007

One thing to keep in mind is that NMEA data entering a D7 from the cable will degrade your reciever. There are various web sites that explain how you are usually transmitting better than you think while mobile. But I use a regular dual band antenna on my truck with an adapter from SMA to BNC and it works pretty good.

 [cak at dimebank.com] wrote:
I'll ask this on the D7 list as well, but I think I'll get a more
useful response here.

I'm revisiting my antenna choice for my vehicles. I've been using a
couple of different mag mount antennas which are very flexible. That's
nice from a stealth point of view (they're pretty much invisible),
but the flex causes enough frequency shift that the D7 doesn't
decode most packets while in motion.

I'm giving up on mag mounts, and will probably use a Diamond K600
trunk lid mount. The question, then, is what antenna to attach to it.

On another vehicle, I'm probably stuck with a through-glass antenna,
though I'm not sure of that yet.

I'd really like to hear from folks that have had good luck with a mobile D7.

Thanks!

73 de chris K6DBG