[aprssig] APRS at Dayton

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Mar 14 10:24:22 EDT 2007

I hope to go to Dayton this year and hope to see lots of APRS
activity.

I hope all travelers will set for VoiceAlert while enroute.

The operations of APRS in the center of Dayton can be greatly
enhanced by just a few SYSOP settings at the major DIGI's in the
area.  With these remote-sysop settings, hundreds of APRS
mobiles can be accomodated.
See the web page:

http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/dayton.txt

Do we have the Dayton SYSOPS on here?  Do they see this as a
viable approach?
Who can guarantee an Igate in simplex range of HARA arena?

Mobiles do *not* need to change their mobile settings enroute
Dayton, assuming they are using the receomended New-N settings
already (WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or 2-2).  That is the power of the
New-N paradigm is that the local SYSOPS can make a few simle
changes to accommodate these hundreds of users without expecting
the users to change anything.

Either 1) TURN OFF your tracker when parked,  or 2) Set packet
rate to 30 minutes while parked.  At Dayton, it is nice to see
parked vehicles on all the screens, but only at the low rate.

Since 52 will be useless, do we want to designate another
simplex APRS Voice frequency in the immediate area?  Why not the
445.925 alternate APRS channel?

Anything else?

Bob, Wb4APR