[aprssig] Re: GPS/PC/D7A

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Thu Mar 8 00:55:22 EST 2007

"Jason D. Triolo" <jasonacg at citicom.com>, Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:35:21
-0500:

>I went with the split serial cable option, and all that I wanted to do,
>is working. The GPS output is being picked up by the D7A, which I can
>leave in APRS mode. The PC is also receiving the data for Street Atlas
>'07 at the same time. As an added bonus, I was able maintain the data
>stream from the D7A back to the GPS, so that local stations get plotted
>on the handheld GPS unit's map. So if I can't get the stations plotted
>on my PC with my current software, I'll take the compromise.

That's just the way we do it when using a GPS as a navigational aid on
a boat: The NMEA bus cable is transporting data from the serial port
of the GPS to the VHF radio (so it can transmit the position in an
emergency), to the auto pilot, and to other devices, like e.g. a multi
function display, and it will receive whatever data are going into the
bus from other active devices.

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway