[aprssig] APRS telemetry to the planets

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Mar 7 21:42:07 EST 2007

> Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS telemetry to the planets
>
> Bob, this has to be one of the slickest ideas I've seen in a
> long time! I'm batting around the idea of scaling it down to
> my middle school kids, and putting together the solar cell
> interface, since we don't have a cubesat to use.

Almost all of our labs are based on a KPC-3+ (as are our real
satellites too).  You can see what we do with them on my web
page:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/labsats.html

The LABsats are more mature now than when I wrote that page, but
this summer I hope to get the new photos in there and  update
the page..

> My question
> is this: what is good freeware to decode telemetry that's
> sent from the KPC? While there are still some loose ends to
> make work, I think my kids can do this project with some
> modifications.

My PCSAT.EXE program that decodes and displays all of our
spacecraft is free.  (Though I have not made a public release in
over a year.  Give me a chance next week, and I will post it.

> Thanks for the idea, and if I can pull it off, I'll let the
> group know (and of course, provide credit where due...)

You'll love some of the other ones.  They are even better.  Hang
the KPC-3 satellites on a string and make them spin with torque
motors and or magnetic coils under remote control.  It works
here just like in space!

Bob, WB4APR