[aprssig] Short Ranges

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Wed Mar 7 11:51:46 EST 2007

Be careful with APRS+SA (or any client) connecting to a full feed port
on a server.  All javAPRSSrvr servers offer a user-defined filter port
(14580) which you should consider using.  APRS+SA supports filters to be
defined in the aprsserve.txt file.  The filter format can be found at
http://www.aprs-is.net/javaprssrvr/javaprsfilter.htm

Why do I say "be careful" "connecting to a full feed port"?  Most APRS
clients, even on a powerful PC on a broadband connection, have
difficulties keeping up with the full APRS feed.  If you are running an
IGate, you will start to see disconnects from the server, extensively
delayed packets, etc. caused by the application not servicing the data
stream fast enough.  You will also see your application's responsiveness
decline over time.

Something to think about.  You can connect to a full feed port but it
will be your system that is most adversely affected.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl.net