[aprssig] station capability flags

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Mar 1 14:35:26 EST 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> What about the '<' packet type, defined on page 77 the APRS spec.
> Isn't that exactly what you are looking for?

As far as I can tell, that's intended only for Igates, and only in
response to a query as you pointed out.

It not only leaves out stations that are not Igates (i.e., nearly all
of them), but it is also extremely verbose.  I'm all for readable
text, but in the case of a fairly complete set of station
capabilities it would be a huge packet of clear text as opposed to
two or three bytes if one bit flags are used.  The latter would be
compact enough to include in every packet.

-Jason
kg4wsv