[aprssig] PCSAT-3 opportunity?

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jun 26 17:28:58 EDT 2007

Including batteries?  .35" thick would be rather tight!  I guess you could
do it with a cell phone style prismatic Li-Poly or Li-Ion battery, if you
could get either of those approved for flight.  A AAA cell is .41" in
diameter, so that's out.

I checked with Freescale and the processors I'm using are made with a 0.25
μm process.  That should make it a lot less vulnerable to single event
effects than older 0.5 μm or 0.35 μm parts.  I suppose it's still big
compared to top-of-the-line desktop processors, but I don't know how much
smaller microcontrollers get.

Any idea what process was used in the SRAM on PCSAT-1?  I think you
mentioned once that there was a little chunk of lead over the chip.  Any
idea if that did any good?  From what I've read, depending on the thickness
of the shielding and the energy level of the radiation, using heavy elements
for shielding can potentially make things worse if you're not careful.  A
high-energy cosmic ray that might normally zip right through without
interacting with the semiconductor might instead hit the lead nuclei and
create a shower of secondary radiation that's more likely to interact with
the part.  Polyethylene might be a better choice, but I really don't know
how much you'd have to have to do any good.  It's probably better to just
build in as much tolerance of SEEs in the form of watchdog timers and such
as possible and accept that you're going to get some.

Fun stuff!  Wish I had a cyclotron to try some things out.  =]  (Hmm, maybe
it's time to check eBay...)

Scott
N1VG