[aprssig] itty bitty laptop

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 21 11:24:21 EDT 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, William McKeehan wrote:

> I'm imagining this as a replacement for my D700's APRS display and my GPS
> display. So the no hard drive thing will be good - 16GB of flash storage
> should be plenty.

Heck yea.  I have a 6.4GB drive in my truck-mount Linux box and have
topo/street maps for the county loaded on there and it's pretty
full.  Not enough room left to add the aerial images.  16GB should
be very usable if you don't get carried away with maps.

> It seems like it would be nice to have an APRS "recorder" that you could
> connect to a radio and have it record all of the APRS packets that it receives
> (optionally giving you a audible/visual notification if it receives a message
> for you), allowing you to connect to the device periodically and download all
> of the data. This way, you could turn the computer off when you're not using
> it and turn it on when you need to see something or respond to a message. That
> to me sounds like the ultimate tracker.

You're talking about a separate hardware device.  Something like a
Tracker2 with an additional flash memory hacked onto it for
recording all the packets, right?  That would be kind'a slick.