[aprssig] itty bitty laptop

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 21 10:04:25 EDT 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 w0ep at frii.com wrote:

> Saw one of these at a trade show this week.
> http://www.gd-computing.com/index.cfm?page=Products:MR-1
>
> It's a 1/4 size ruggedized laptop running Windows XP.
> It has an integral GPS.
>
> I was daydreaming about getting one and running Xastir on it.
> The guy said they were going to cost in the $4,xxx range.

I've played with some Itronix ruggedized laptops of the PP200 class,
and put Linux on a couple of them in a dual-boot configuration.
Unfortunately these didn't have touch-screens, but they were still
nice.

You'd probably lose a bunch of the special I/O that the above device
has if you put Linux on it, but the fairly normal functions should
be accessible including the touch-screen.  I've used two different
touch-screens with Linux before and they're kind'a cool.  I have a
truck-mount PC for my Jeep with a touch-screen running Linux/Xastir.