[aprssig] APRS in the North East

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Mon Jun 18 14:26:44 EDT 2007

I took a drive from East TN to Central Florida last week and saw similar things.

I ran a D700 with Voice Alert (and the volume up) and never heard anyone.

The display of the D700 was not mounted on the dash, so I had to take my eyes
off of the road to view it-as a result, I did not notice any voice-repeater
objects while mobile though I did notice a few when I checked the list at my
stops.

I did not notice any bulletins or objects about nets or meetings.

One thing that I would have really liked to know about was Skywarn
frequencies/nets. When I was traveling, the weather turned nasty and I just
had to scan around to find the Skywarn frequency. Given how I looked at the
display, I would much prefer to see this information (i.e., Skywarn net active
on 146.94) as a bulletin as opposed to an object.

As a side note, I did find coverage around the Savannah, GA area this time -
and coverage along the route were much improved over the last trip I made to
FL just a few months ago.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU