[aprssig] Symbol Hierarchy

Andy AB9FX ab9fx at aprs.pl
Sun Jun 17 15:29:43 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Sharp, KQ4KX" <kq4kx at arrl.net>
Sent: Sunday, 17 June, 2007 14:04
Subject: RE: [aprssig] Symbol Hierarchy

> Something I discovered with a digi/weather station setup is that for the
> weather data to be decoded by client software or findu.com etc. it must
> have
> the weather icon.

Only weather data sent with position requires one of /_ \_ /W \W /w \w
symbols. Otherwise data extension is decoded as course/speed of moving
station or area object descriptor (see APRS Spec p.27).
If wx data is sent in separate packet doesn't matter what is the symbol in
the position packet. Then data type identifier says this is wx data like _
or other (see APRS Spec p.17)
73!
Andy