[aprssig] APRS digi from the digi point of view

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 15 09:55:18 EDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Jim Wagner wrote:

> (1) Simple name or call? Sure, all digis, APRS or not, need to do that

Yes.  Or a tactical callsign.  Some digi's around your area and mine
use tactical calls.

> (2) RELAY and WIDE? I know that they are deprecated, but should they be
> offered?

Probably.  There are plenty of areas in the world where they are
still being used.

> (3) WIDEn-N? Yes?

Yes.

> (4) What about TRACEn-N? If so, what are the rules used by TRACE digis?
> What do they substitute where?

Not sure on this one.  We used to use that around here, but then
incorporated the feature into the WIDEn-N settings.  Later on the
rest of the APRS world followed with this scheme.  I don't _think_
we need the TRACEn-N stuff anymore at all.  Others in NWAPRS would
know this stuff much better than I.

> (5) Are there other NAMEn-N constructs in use? Do you allow an
> arbitrary 5 char name?

Yes.  Like WAn-N, ORn-N, IDn-N, SARn-N, whatever.  And allow for
multiples like another messages suggested, so we can implement quite
a few schemes.

> (6) Other digi reference schemes?

There's the No Source Routing (NSR) scheme:

    <http://www.aprs-is.net/nosource_routing.htm>