[aprssig] Compatible GPS for waypoint upload?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Jun 12 17:03:43 EDT 2007

> Time to start adding FTDI chips to APRS projects perhaps ?

I assume Andrew is referring to the FT232 series, which as Scott
points out won't buy you anything here.

There is a new device from FTDI named the Vinculum that's a USB host
on a chip.  The firmware available to date is limited; applications
include copying files from one USB mass storage device to another,
providing a serial interface to use a mass storage device as a
datalogger, and a few others.

I doubt makingNMEA/rs232 firmware for the Vinculum USB-only GPS units
would ever be commercially viable, though (otherwise rs232/NMEA
wouldn't be disappearing from the GPS units in the first place).

-Jason
kg4wsv