[aprssig] Compatible GPS for waypoint upload?

Arno Verhoeven (PE1ICQ) pe1icq at sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl
Tue Jun 12 15:49:23 EDT 2007

'Scott Miller' wrote the following on 2007-06-12 21:30:
> I've got a related question, for those of you with USB only automotive
> GPS receivers.  I know at least some of the Garmins still support
> waypoint uploads (from MapSource?) via USB.  When you plug the device
> in to USB, what happens?  Is the device still usable as usual, or does
> it display a different screen?  In other words, if you had a PC
> connected to the device instead of a tracker, would it be able to plot
> waypoints in a way that would be usable for APRS?

I don't really know. I have a TomTom One and would love to be able to
plot something on the screen. I use a separate small PGM-110 from
Polstar for APRS. I'm not so much interested in using the TT1 as a GPS
source for APRS (It's not always in the car), but feeding data back into
would be nice.
The TT1 does behave different when it is plugged into a PC, but that has
probably to do with how it is initialized by the PC.

Is there info about the TT1 interface available or is the as closed as
can be?

73, Arno  SM0/PE1ICQ/P