[aprssig] iPhone

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Jun 8 13:02:28 EDT 2007

On Jun 8, 2007, at 12:33 PM, John Scherer wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I go in for my final interview today for a job as a Genius at one
> of the local Apple Stores

Good Luck!!!

> so if they offer any sort of discount, there WILL be an iphone in
> my future.  Lately been using an OS X app called Packetograph by
> Sergei - KD6CJI.  It's new and had a few bugs - nothing too bad.
> Its a great app for aprs, better in many ways than xaistr (sp) due
> to it's simplicity.  I'm not sure what you were thinking of
> developing for the phone assuming the SDK rumor holds true, but
> something like this would be very cool.  I wonder if he would
> release the source code for porting to the iphone!

What I do really depends on what the SDK is. Some of the rumors are
that it will simply run widgets, which will certainly limit the
possibilities for APRS. There is no mention of an internal GPS, the
demos show picking locations off a Google Map, hopefully they will
allow easy access to that map picker and let me send it as a URL to
findU. A full stream APRS would need a much more robust API, I'm not
sure they will release something like that, but it would be nice. We
should know more after next weeks WWDC...

Steve