[aprssig] Trackers from Heaven?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 31 15:20:12 EDT 2007

>> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Trackers from Heaven?
> Total is 60-some every 12 hours in the CONUS...
> I'm ... surprised that these were in the 400-406 MHz
> band... operational sites I know of are using 1680-ish
> MHz even for non-GPS sondes.
> Is this what it looked like?
> http://www.ua.nws.noaa.gov/RRSsonde.htm

Not really,  About that size, but it was supported "flat" not on
end like this photo.  Also is had all kinds of things sticking
out.  A stiff wire 400 MHz dipole, a stiff wire holding a hot
wire? Ssensor?  A plastic thingy like a tongue depressor with a
tiny chip under it exposed to air

And a spool-unwinder on the top apparentlly to unspool some cord
for it to hang on?

Thanks for your other inputs.  It would still be fun to look at
the GPS info for my students...

Bob, WB4APR