[aprssig] D700 Tip. Reading Mail

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 31 12:41:41 EDT 2007

> > After all, APRS is all about fostering human
> > communications on ham radio in the local area...
>
> Some somewhat retorical questions:
> How do we call CQ locally on APRS?

Voice Alert.  Each of your D700 packets will then contains a 100
HZ tone which will be heard in the speaker of all surrounding
APRS also running Voice Alert.  This burst every minute is
considered to be a "CQ" indicating that you are listening for a
voice call.

Area Message:  Send a message to ALL.

> How would we call CQ worldwide?

To encourage amateur radio in scouting, we have encouraged all
Igates that are supportive of scouting to  include the callsign
of SCOUT in their pass-to-RF list.  This way, any scout anywhere
can send a message to SCOUT, and any other scout anywehere that
has added SCOUT to his message group will receive it.  A great
facilitator of SCOUT demos.  Problem is that very few Igates
have enabled "SCOUT"...

> How about "twitter" messaging on APRS..
> Every "twit" send out would be rebroadcast
> everywhere...

Unfortunately any such global CQ system can be abused.  We hope
people will message responsibliy...  Bob, WB4APR