[aprssig] Broken digis (Ohio to Oklahoma and everywhere inbetween)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 30 15:06:47 EDT 2007

>>> I thought that the 'new paradigm' was just
>>> [replacing RELAY,WIDE with WIDE2-2]...
>>> No big deal.  It saves a few bytes...
>>
>> Actually, it cuts QRM from unneeded dupes by a factor of 2 to
5!

> You'll have to explain that to me.> How does
> changing the name of the digi reduce dupes?

Because the digipeaters do not do dupe checking on RELAY.  But
they do do perfect dupe elimination on "WIDEn-N".

> What we need is better dup checking algorithms,
> not different digi naming convention.

That's the point... we already have a perfect dupe checking
algorithm and it works for WIDEn-N packets.  It does not work
for RELAY.  That is the whole basis of the New-N paradigm to get
rid of RELAY and get all packets to be of the form WIDEn-N which
does have perfect dupe elimination...

> Aren't the fill-in digis necessary at the end
> of the path as well as the beginning?

No, the problem on 144.39 is for the big digipeaters to hear
mobiles amidst all the QRM on the channel.  It is not a problem
in most cases for others to hear the big digis...  Even in the
fill-in area in most cases..

> All this talk about digi naming, special paths,
> etc., just seems to be another kluge...  Let's
> work on putting the intelligence in the network.

But the intellligence is already there, we just have to educate
people to use it properly and then it will work well.  That is
what the New-N paradigm is all about.  Simplify everything to
WIDEn-N which has perfect dupe filtering, has full path tracing,
and get rid of all the alphabet soup of legacy paths...

Hope that helps
Bob, Wb4APR