[aprssig] ATV Tracker Frequencies and non-ATV trackers - Alternate input?

J T w0jrt at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 15:45:31 EDT 2007

I know that 144.34 has been used for APRS for balloon flights w/o ATV in the past, and fortunately due to the short durations it's normally not a problem, but there have been times when it's been an issue.

I've kicked around the idea of proposing 144.99, the low power alternate input frequency, for balloon flights that don't want to use 144.39 due to congestion issues.  Although it's not the original intent of the alternate input frequency, I don't think there'd be much of a contention with other APRS users on that frequency since the balloon flights tend to be infrequent and of short duration (< 3 hours).  This, of course, would only be done in areas where 144.99 isn't used for other (non-APRS) activities.

Thoughts?

-Jerome, W0JRT

Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote: I have seen references to some of the pocket trackers using
144.34 MHz.

I want to make sure that eveyrone knows that 144.34 in the USA
is "the national ATV voice calling frequency" which it has been