[aprssig] Destination addresses

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jul 23 10:06:00 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 06:11:51PM +1200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <zl3ai at nzart.org.nz> flavor, containing:
> Talking about the Wiki, I do hope something is going to happen that
> will stop the escalating vandalism of this valuable APRS asset.
> I guess different software with better security might be ideal but for
> the moment is it possible to limit access to only bona-fide
> contributors?

With you on that.  The sooner that WikkaWakkaWiki is abandoned and a version
of MediaWiki with apppropriate user permissions settings is put in place
the better.

In the meantime, if page owners would go to the pages they own and click "Edit
ACLs" at the bottom, then change the "*" in the editors field to a list of
wikinames that they trust instead (e.g. themselves and any legitimate
contributors that have already  added content to that page) then some of this
would go away.  I did that to the few pages I own and they are no longer
vandalized.  All of the rest of the pages are frequently trashed.  This is
the one thing that everyone who creates wiki content could do to help the
situation.

Another thing that could be done is that Scott could disable the new user
registration feature, and delete the script-generated user IDs so they can't
log in again.  The vandalism is happening from a large number of accounts,
but they're being re-used, so obviously some accounts were made and the
user ID and passwords distributed to a den of spammers.