[aprssig] APRS Local Repeater Initiative

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 18 12:46:03 EDT 2007

> Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS Local Repeater Initiative
> First line (10 bytes):
> T123 R45m -(Combines PL tone and Range)
>            (miles or Kilo) on the 1st line
>
> Should PL tones less than 100 be padded?

Yes, always to 3 digits.  T067 for example.  Tenths are not
needed, because they are standardized.

> Also, should M be capitalized for miles?
> I see meters when I see lower case m...

True, but we think that the lower case "m" gives a better visual
separation between the 2 digit range and the units.

We were looking for the most pleasing format that would nicely
fit on the 10x10 and 10x10x8 byte displays of the D7 and D700.

Bob, WB4APR

> On 7/17/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>
> 	Traveling from Maryland, Through Virginia, to Alabama
and back,
> 	it was beautiful when I crossed the Alabama line.
Everywhere I
> 	went, I was able to look on the front panel of the D700
and see
> 	in the station list, the frequency of the locally
recommended
> 	voice repeater.  It made it easy to tell which of the
hundred
> 	repeaters were best for a QSO.
>
> 	But, I saw not one single repeater object for 300+ miles
in
> 	Virginia along I-81, and only saw two in Tennessee over
it's
> 	300+ miles on I-40.  Conversly, I did see the 444.xxx
Maryland
> 	repeater (incorrectly transmitted as a Uiview object)
over most
> 	of Virginia, though it could only be used within 20
miles of its
> 	location over 200 miles away...
>
> 	Please if you are going to put a repeater object on the
map, do
> 	it the right way.  The wrong way is just QRM.  The right
way is
> 	a new facet of APRS that will blossom over the next
year.
> 	Imagine a radio that can tune to such an object with the
press
> 	of a button.  See the right way on:
>
> 	http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html
> <http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html>
>
> 	This is NOT just adding a freq to the DIGI's beacon.  It
is
> 	using the digi's Btext to generate a LOCAL OBJECT for
that voice
> 	repeater that shows its frequency (instead of callsign)
and
> 	location on the front panel display of the D700, D7 and
HamHud.

> 	> Bob Bruninga wrote:
> 	>> There are 44 repeaters in 146 MHZ showing on APRS
> 	>> There are 50 repeaters in 147 MHz showing on APRS
> 	>> There are 36 repeaters in 145 MHz showing on APRS
> 	>> There are 20 repeaters in the 444/449 range showing
> 	>>
> 	>> There are over 1100 APRS digipeaters.  So there are
> 	>> still hundreds of APRS digis that need updating to
> 	>> add their local Voice Repeater BText.  You can see
> 	>> progress on FINDU:
> 	>>
> 	>> http://map.findu.com/146*
> 	>>
> 	>> for example will show you all the repeaters in the
146
> 	>> range.  As you prepare to add your local repeater to
your
> 	>> local DIGI's BText,  you should check the frequency
first
> 	>> with FINDU and make sure that your chosen X character
or XY
> 	>> has not already been taken.
> 	>>
> 	>> http://map.findu.com/146.94*
> 	>>
> 	>> Then choose a -XY or +XY to make your object unique.
> 	>> Or for 5 KHz repeaters. chose the single +X or -X.
> 	>>
> 	>> Of the 10,000 repeaters in the ARRL repeater
directory,
> 	>> the only ones we want to see on APRS are the ones
that