[aprssig] UIview help

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 12:48:51 EDT 2007

Bob Cutter wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion Andy.  I downloaded SP6
> and when asked, placed it in the "system" folder.  It
> did not contain an automatic direction for placement.
>
> I still get the same message.
>
> 73, Bob KI0G

You have been victimized by a careless very sloppy packaging job by
Microsoft.  When you first run the downloaded  file
"VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe",  it merely unpacks a runnable install file
"VBrun60sp6.exe", contained inside, to a folder selected by the user.

You THEN have to locate this folder and run (i.e. double-click)
"VBrun60sp6.exe" to do the actual install which WILL unpack and
automatically place the contents of VBrun60sp6.exe in the correct places
and "wire" the VB6 runtime to Windows.

The normal and proper way these installers are handled is that a
double-click on the downloaded file should automatically unpack the file
to the default system temporary folder (no questions asked), and then
automatically launched the "VBrun60sp6.exe" file contained within.
(Typically the file within will be named "Setup.exe" or "Install.exe" to
indicate that it needs to be run to finish the install.   In this case,
the file name SHOULD HAVE BEEN  something like "Setup_VBrun60sp6.exe" )

Or the web page should have offered to download "VBrun60sp6.exe" in the
first place.      Apparently, MS wanted to "wrap" the file
"VBrun60sp6.exe" in a container with a file name that reflected the
"Knowlege Base" posting number (i.e. KB290887).

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps