[aprssig] Garmin eTrex Legend Question

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Mon Jul 9 10:33:12 EDT 2007

Same thing happened to mine.  Whacking it with the palm of my hand would fix
the display, usually.  As for it being watertight, the fact that I opened
mine up to try fixing the display issue may have contributed to the lack of
a good seal.  After several miles of riding underwater in my cargo pocket as
I hiked the Zion Narrows, my Legend finally died.  I actually resurrected
it, but the data input line never worked again, and in trying to fix that I
seem to have killed the rest of it.

All of the ICs by Maxim on the board had corrosion around the pads.  I think
they were a different composition than the other parts - you could see
copper showing through.  In any case, I had a heck of a time trying to make
connections when the board had eroded right out from underneath the parts.
>From the looks of it, it had probably been corroding already before the Zion
trip.

So yeah, it's probably time to upgrade.  My suggestion is the GPSmap 60CSx.
I've got the 60 CS and love it, and the CSx has the improved SiRF receiver
and external memory slot.

Scott
N1VG