[aprssig] Local Traveler Repeater Freq Objects

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 16:35:36 EST 2007

On 1/31/07, Josh Freeman <cpe.jfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:
> immediate area, etc. I was told that many of the repeater owners would
> simply not authorize the broadcasting of this information due to
> concerns about vandalism or jamming.

Sounds a little paranoid to me, but I know there are guys out there
that get a little nervous about these things.   Any Amateur radio
operator worth their salt could find the repeater via direction
finding anyway.  But we are digressing a bit...

>Or perhaps the precision of the coordinates sent out over APRS could be
>diluted somewhat so that the general location information would still be
>useful, while helping to allay repeater owners' concerns.

Definitely not a problem at all.  In this APRS application, the
repeater coordinates do not have to be dead on accurate.  Even if the
object is a couple of miles from the actual repeater site, it still
gets the key information out which is the frequency and "general"
location.  The point is not for users to locate the actual repeater
site, but rather to get the information necessary to use the repeater.
 This should keep alleviate any of the repeater owners' concerns.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com