[aprssig] Local Traveler Repeater Freq Objects

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 30 13:56:52 EST 2007

> Just to be clear, I think that your new web page
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html
>
> is telling me that our W6WGZ-RPT object is not set up
> the way you would prefer. We have the frequency in the
> description text, but not as the object name...

Yes, using the callsign of a voice repeater requires the mobile
operator to have to "look-up" the frequency by pressing some
buttons.  Whereas if the frequency is used as the object name,
then not only is it immediately obvious that it is a voice
repeater and what the frequency is, but this can show up on the
front panel of the radio hands-free.

It shows up as a 10 second flash when the object comes in, or
the mobile operator can drive along with his station LIST
already displayed, and then the last 5 stations and objects
heard will show up, and since that is where the frequency is
best seen.

Your format of:
W6WGZ-RPT>APX:!3717.55N/11941.04Wr 147.180+ PL146.2 w6wgz.org

Will show better as:
147.180+>APOBJ:!3717.55N/11941.04Wr PL 146.2  w6wgz.org

If you want it to be globally unique, then add a character to
the end of the frequency as in 147.180+X where X is unique to
your repeater.  Since your repeater does not end in .005 KHz,
you actually have two follow bytes you could use if they made
more sense as in 147.18+DC (if for example it was in washington
DC, etc)...  Or you could drop the + since it is obvious and
make it 147.18MSP if it was in minneapolis-Saint Paul etc...

Thanks,
Bob, WB4APR