[aprssig] DIGIpeater - Network performance

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jan 26 14:52:57 EST 2007

William (callsign?) wrote...

(re 240 stations in Bob's ALOHA circle)
> How can you have over 60 to 100 stations in your Aloha circle?

You noticed that too, eh? hi Maybe Bob (and some of the other 240 stations)
need to shorten their path a bit. In Bob's defence, Bob has already
mentioned that some of the 240 stations only show up at his QTH a few times
a day. I'm probably in a similar situation. I'm looking at UI-View with a
TCPIP-only connection right now, but for the last few weeks I was running it
with either a KPC-3+ or a TNC-X as a digipeater (as well as the IGate that
has been running for several years), and I was seeing virtually the same
station list. Most are coming from the two "high density" areas around
here... Vancouver BC & Seattle WA plus all of the surrounding area. However,
there are lots of stations from the interior of BC (and a few in WA state)
that were making it here on RF over very long distances. I think the APRS
users in the very sparsely populated but mountainous areas of BC feel they
need a longer path to make it to one of the few IGates up that way. A
consequence of this is that quite a few of the stations in northern BC and
the Okanagan also make it on RF down to the Vancouver area... a distance of
about 600 km for some of those stations. However, quite a few of the digis
up that way also show up down "here" on RF too. They aren't in my ALOHA
circle, but I see them. Did I mention that I usually use a one hop path for
any digi / IGates (fixed station) that I run here? Perhaps I'm in a fairly
unique location here. I have a fairly large footprint even though I'm not at
a great altitude, but I also have several large footprint digis within
earshot as well.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH