[aprssig] Local Repeater Displays on Mobiles

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 26 03:00:29 EST 2007

> > Ok question about how this would be set up using the
> > UI-View Digi?
>
> UI-View could put out such information as an object at the
> rate specified in "object interval"...

Only if that Uiview was operating with a (0), none, hop path.

The problem with using a client program to generate these
objects is that the object will not have its own simplex, DIRECT
PATH independent of the normal path the client uses.  SO the
object will go out with the 1,2, or more hop path that the
client program is already using.  This means the Voice repeater
object will go out to an area that is far larger (in most cases)
than the radio coverage area of the voice repeater itself.

This would make the object be SPAM and unwanted QRM to most
surrounding areas and the negative impact of this kind of SPAM
into areas where the information is not-valid would kill any
benefit of having the object in the first place.

I have seen some such repeater objects in the past while mobile,
coming in from the next state and over 100 miles away.  Tuning
in the repeater, it was impossible to work, and so I was
irritated at this false informaton while trying to drive the car
and tune the radio, only to find out it was SPAM coming in from
the next state due to a 2 hop path over the mountains.

Unless UIview  can have a separate 0, no-hop path for these
objects, then I recommend against using a client program to send
these objects.

The advantage of putting these objects into a KPC-3+
DIGIpeater's Btext, is that the UNPROTO path (direct, 0 hops)for
that beacon is independent of the four LTPaths being used for
the digipeater's own proportional-pathing beacon.

If there is no other way to send these objects direct, then the
best way is to install a $25 APRS tracker at the voice repeater
and let it generate it's own object from its own location.  Then
you know for sure that the coverage area of the repeater-object
is the same as the RF coverage area of the repeater.

Bob, WB4APR