[aprssig] Long messages

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Jan 25 22:01:55 EST 2007

Scott N1VG wrote...

> KD5YOV-14>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,AHUBSWE::KC4JGC   :5.3 miles northeast of
> Norfolk, VA --- Report received 15 minutes 59 seconds ago {21
>
> The spec gives a maximum length of 67 characters for a message.  That one
> is 81 characters, counting the trailing space....

Further to my comment on your post...

the above appears to have been sent by UI-View32 (version 2.03) but the text
field for entry in UI-View limits the text entered to 67 characters unless
you choose "D7" in which case it limits entry to 45 characters.  Hmmm...I
wonder if KD5YOV has UI-View set for "enable UI-View32 extensions" which
would make it incompatible with messages in standard APRS format? The
UI-View32 extensions are something which I have known exists, but have never
used it because I would always want to remain compatible with those around
me. However, I just tried enabling the extensions and the message window
then allowed for 67 characters in APRS mode, 55 when not in APRS mode
and 45 characters when sending to a D7 (and presumably a D700 but someone
might want to correct me on that). It was worth a look, but it doesn't look
like the UI-View32 extensions allow for messages longer than 67 characters.
Something doesn't add up.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH