[aprssig] Long messages

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Jan 25 21:04:12 EST 2007

I've been reworking my old APRS IS parser, and I'm finding a lot of overly
long messages, like this one:

KD5YOV-14>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,AHUBSWE::KC4JGC   :5.3 miles northeast of
Norfolk, VA --- Report received 15 minutes 59 seconds ago {21

The spec gives a maximum length of 67 characters for a message.  That one is
81 characters, counting the trailing space.  Was the spec revised at some
point, or do clients just ignore it?  Makes it hard to know how big a
database field is required to store it...

Scott
N1VG