[aprssig] Objects Of Boats Along Waterways

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Mon Jan 22 05:58:08 EST 2007

Joe Della Barba wrote:
> AIS is secret???

I guess the reasoning here goes something like this: if you are on the
water in the cockpit/bridge of a boat/ship, then AIS is good for you.
But you shouldn't be looking at the ship icons moving on your home
computer screen, or you'll turn into (or help) a terrorist or pirate. I
guess those who think like this haven't realized that anyone, even a
terrorist, can go to a boating store and buy an AIS receiver of his own
for a few hundred euros and just use that.

> can;t help but think AIS was at least partly inspired by APRS. I also
> wonder if the TMD-700A could be an AIS transceiver. I know it wouldn't
> be legal, but it would seem to be able to do 9600 baud.

It won't do AIS on its own. But you can use the 9600 bps data connector
on the TM-D700 to output the AIS "audio" and feed it to e.g. shipplotter
running on a computer.

   Tapio