[aprssig] Periodic Disconnects from APRS-IS

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Thu Jan 18 10:44:46 EST 2007

Ah!  One of the main reasons why Tier 2 was created!  Pete's link below
has some of the Tier 2 servers available listed, but for a more complete
list, visit www.aprs2.net.  We also have a UI-View type list created for
easy download.  Use the URL: france.aprs2.net/APRServe2.txt - though I
agree with Pete that we should all be creating our own server lists for
our own needs.

It should also be pointed out that round-robin DNS does not account for
a server becoming suddenly unavailable.  If a server in the list becomes
unavailable, until the DNS zone file is updated and all of the caching
is reset, that server's IP will still be issued on the pseudo-random
basis.  There is rotate.aprs.net and there is also rotate.aprs2.net, but
I recommend not using them for any reason.

73
Phil - AD6NH