[aprssig] GPS from Sprint data card

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Sun Jan 14 01:53:21 EST 2007

At 11:38 PM 1/13/2007, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>That looks like a perfectly normal GPS data string.  You're lucky
>it's not some wierd proprietary binary format!  You should be able
>to feed it into a serial port separate from the one your TNC is
>using, and then set UIview to use the port under "Setup, GPS
>Setup".   I.E you will require TWO serial ports (or USB-to-serial
>"dongles") on your PC -- one for the TNC and one for the GPS.
>
>Not sure which GPS "sentences" UI-View actually requires.  Can you
>enable $GPRMC and $GPGLL as well?  (These two sentences are required
>to get speed and altitude into an APRS posit.)

         It appears I can either use the card for data, or use it for
GPS, but not both at the same time, even though it uses THREE
DIFFERENT com ports!  And it only puts out the GGA string, and then
at about 10-second intervals.  It's kinda strange.

         UI-View32 did finally accept that data, but I was really
hoping to use the data card for both at the same time, and use just
the laptop as an APRS setup without any 2-meter rig at all.  I guess
I'll have to use a separate GPS to get this scheme to work.

         Thanks,
         Earl